How to write a C64 game in several steps
  • Step #36

I called this one "Satisfaction Refinement". Enemies when shot are hit back for a few steps, it's a shotgun, dammit!
    On their final blow enemies now burst in smoke.

Attachments
    step36.png 5K
    step36.zip 37K
  • Step #37

The player is simply vanishing when getting killed. Kinda looks odd, doesn't it? We add a nice new animation and then send the player back in.

Attachments
    step37.png 5K
    step37.zip 38K
  • Step #38

Now's one huge step that took me a week to implement: A second player. Can't have Supernatural with only Dean, now there's Sam as well.

In the title screen, press up to toggle game modes (single Dean, single Sam, coop). Note that Sam does not use a shot gun, he uses his dark powers.

Attachments
    step38.png 5K
    step38.zip 41K
  • Step #39

And a rather small step, but with huge impact: Music.
    For now we're using a demo song from GoatTracker.

Attachments
    step39.png 5K
    step39.zip 45K
  • Let me know when you're ready for music for your game (And how many tunes you want), then I shall work on some in Goat Tracker for you (Unless someone else has stepped in beforehand) :)
  • Hi Richard,
    There is no real fully fledged design plan; I'm basically designing along. This makes it somewhat difficult to request things that might change.
    However what is pretty sure to be required is a title loop, an in game loop and a boss fight ditty. Beyond that my plan doesn't have many more details.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm quite glad that you want to provide music, I just don't want to make you do extra work which might get designed away.
    I hope that's not too confusing ;)
  • Ah, okay. No problem. :)
  • Step #40

And onwards we go. This time we add spawn spots. These are a different kind of object which spawn a number of one specific enemy type. The level is clear once all enemies are killed and the spawn spots are empty.

In case you wonder about the .C64 file inside there: It's a project file for C64Studio, an .NET based IDE I've written for development and debugging alongside with mostly WinVICE.
    Attachments
    step40.png 5K
    step40.zip 43K
  • Step #41

Now the step you've all been waiting for: Smilas spritery inserted. What a difference this makes. To celebrate there's also a slew of new enemies:

Wolfman
    Eye
    Jumping toad
    Ghost skeleton

Have fun!

Attachments
    step41.png 6K
    step41.zip 93K
  • Smila delivered a slew of new monster sprites, so here's more:

New enemy floating ghost
    New enemy fly

Attachments
    step42.png 5K
    step42.zip 95K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion