The them thar modern games discussion thread. Part 8.
  • Gosh, part 8 already. It must be, ooh, 2 years since part 7 was started.

Let's kick this one off with some bad news:

Before we start, let's make one thing absolutely clear about Dungeons: If you're hoping for another Dungeon Keeper, then you're going to be disappointed. Dungeons is not that game. Oh sure, visually it's got Bullfrog written all over it, and there are more than a few homages to the classic evil-em-up thrown in here. When it comes to gameplay, however, Dungeons is not what you're hoping for.

With that out of the way, we can now celebrate what Dungeons is - a ruddy brilliant twist on the tower defense genre.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/dungeons/1371/review.html
  • If you're going to be an evil Lord of the Underworld, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.

That's very apt. We can, in fact, apply that brilliant statement to all manner of things:

If you're going to be an evil Supervillain, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.
    If you're going to be an evil Mad Scientist, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.
    If you're going to be an evil Pope, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.
    If you're going to be an evil Lesbian Space Vampire, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.
    If you're going to be an evil Lord Voldemort, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.
    If you're going to be an evil President Of Italy, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.
    If you're going to be an evil Wikileaker, don't choose a psychotic crazy woman as your lover, no matter how big her boobies may be.

(I may have missed the last seven of these threads, don't know if I'm supposed to be serious or not. We'll go for "not").

Best thing in that entire article though:

Top Game Moment: Discovering the different creatures that are available.

So, not actually playing the game, but seeing the things that you can play the game with? Awesome!
  • That's Mike! :X (He's lovely really, honest. No really, he is - which reminds me, I owe him a mail, best do that in a tic)

I would like this please:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/02/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-pics-trailer/
  • I just started playing Bayonnetta and I think modern games have made me soft in the difficulty stakes as it's kicking my arse all over the place bigtime. :)

I'm playing on Normal difficulty and it's harder than a lot of games I've played with the difficulty pumped up to max.
  • Talking of Tower Defense and difficulty: http://www.ixchels.net/products/wickeddefense is made by the people who make the graphics libraries I've used with Delphi for the last ten years. I don't know if it's just the demo but I had to actually cheat and add about ninety times the starting money to the first level before I could pass it, and even then it was a close thing.

Without cheating, it's impossible, even on easy. Either that, or I'm a L-) oser, lol.
  • RobF said:

Oh yes indeed!

But sadly, Mrs_Staypuft again confirms her non-gamer DNA, by seeing said trailer and saying, "Yes, but it's not ACTUALLY Johnny Depp, so I'm not interested in playing it."

Same thing happenned with Lego:Harry Potter - no interest despite being a massive fan of the books. Oh well...

(Mind you, when I eventually get the home arcade (garage) working again, she'll be thrashing me on Magical Drop 3 as usual.)
  • This is brilliant.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/02/the-duty-calls-bulletstorm-has-a-mock/

I'm not going to make the slightest secret of pissing myself in anticipation for Bulletstorm. It's People Can Fly (Painkiller - not the bad, bad, follow ups) letting loose massive amounts of utterly childish silly stuff.

And of course, I like shit stirring - so 800megs worth of shit stirring from EA/Epic/People Can Fly I'm totally down for.

More fascinating to me is how Bulletstorm is a complete twat magnet. But that's probably for another topic.

Anyway, Bulletstorm. Yes please. Duty Calls. Oh yes, thanks.
  • (also, features!)

1. Duty Vision™ slows down the action so you can unload a storm of bullets
    2. Immersive dialogue from the front lines
    3. Cold, calculated realism
    4. Killing animations motion captured from real actors
    5. True-life reloading system allows for mistakes in putting the cartridge in the gun
    6. Iconic sound effects
    7. Thwart an enemy threat that could topple the country and possibly the world
    8. Significant and historically accurate props
  • You didn't quote the whole #4:

4. Killing animations motion captured from real actors while they are actually killing other actors

I too am rather anticipating this, if only because of the tongue-wedged-ridiculously-hard-into-cheek concept of it. And because bullet storms would make a nice change from tropical cyclones down 'ere...
  • RobF said:

I'll have some of that too please :)
  • Haha! Duty Calls is super master sergeant extreme!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion