The Random (NSFW?) Stuff & Thinking Out Loud Thread (was Betpet's crap...)
  • Dick Clark died. (There goes another piece of my early childhood... I remember watching American Bandstand early Saturday afternoons) Don't know how well known he was outside the US, so here are a couple of links:
    http://dickclark.com/
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0163863/

NP
  • I'm sorry if you think I'm unsensitive for posting this, but I am truly sorry for her. Real life can be very tragic sometimes and this is just so damn unfair. The poor girl is just 15.

...but it's also unfair that we have to read shit like this - "wishes to trend on Twitter"...I'm sorry but that's just fucking stupid.

...and on top of that it's retweeted by The Moff, but then again; we've know his decisionmaking skills have been lacking for a while. ;)

• Sokurah said:

Nope it's still there (or in my cache), so here it is for those that may have missed it.

Attachments
    twin_galaxies.JPG 59K
  • Haha, alright, I get the same as shown on your picture...I just didn't get that it was supposed to be a permanent ban because of...some or else. Those cunts. :)
  • I think its due to the site being under maintenance. Beats having the usual "Site under maintence. please come back later" sign
  • Minion said:

I think its due to the site being under maintenance. Beats having the usual "Site under maintence. please come back later" sign

Imagine getting the same message here every time the site was down. We'd be seeing it 6 out of 10 times. ;-)
  • Sokurah said:

I'm sorry if you think I'm unsensitive for posting this, but I am truly sorry for her. Real life can be very tragic sometimes and this is just so damn unfair. The poor girl is just 15.

...but it's also unfair that we have to read shit like this - "wishes to trend on Twitter"...I'm sorry but that's just fucking stupid.

...and on top of that it's retweeted by The Moff, but then again; we've know his decisionmaking skills have been lacking for a while. ;)

It's a weird one that. It started out a year ago now with a girl genuinely writing her bucket list who has cancer. Right, so far so good. Except what you see now is nothing to do with that, it's one of those weird internet morph things. The bucket list never said "trend on Twitter" or stuff like that, it was just let's get this trending on Twitter and get the bucket list filled. Originally. A year ago. That was a.good.thing.

Now it's this tweet. That crops up entirely out of context with the hashtag, entirely out of context and it's unreal. It's unreal because it doesn't go back to the bucket list, it doesn't raise any awareness for cancer, it does -nothing- but get retweeted again and again and again and again. Unquestioningly. Because it helps, right? It helps somebody who nobody knows at the end of a hashtag nobody follows trend on twitter when there's nobody asking to trend on twitter in the first place.

You click, you make someone happy. You sit back, you look fucking smug because you did that, right? You just made someone happy and all you had to do was RT a message with no name, no URL, no backstory, no origin. Just do this. It makes someone happy.

Fucking hell. INTERNET.

Here's how the story goes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jun/09/alices-bucket-list-blog-internet

And that's marvellous. So y'know, if someone tweets that at you, ask them to link to the blog or sign up to be a bone marrow doner or something. Ask them to do something other than mindlessly RT something that means and does nothing except help them sit there smug for 10 seconds whilst they believe that somewhere, out there, they've made someone happy without actually making someone happy.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion