Raspberry Pi anyone?
  • Looks like David Braben (yes, THE David Braben) has been busy working on a new computer on a stick, to encourage the next generation of coders:

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game-developer-david-braben-creates-a-usb-stick-pc-for-25-2011055/

Sounds quite nifty - especially if they do manage to keep it at around the £15 price tag.

The only bugger is that it appears to be HDMI only - which is great if you have one of those new-fangled TVs or monitors that support it (I don't). Hopefully they'll also do a SCART or VGA version...

EDIT: And a linky to the proper site:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/
  • dano said:

The only bugger is that it appears to be HDMI only - which is great if you have one of those new-fangled TVs or monitors that support it (I don't). Hopefully they'll also do a SCART or VGA version...

Just whack it thru one of them dongle thingies. My GFX card is HDMI out only, but my monitor is VGA inp, so ive got that thru a dongle.
  • Looks alright. I'll wait and pick one up cheap second hand though.

/bitch
  • Some "big" news tomorrow. Not sure if it's the release. I'm under strict orders to buy "some" on company account. No specification as to how many "some" is. :oD Ooops.
  • Is it tomorrow they go on sale ? Buggeration :(
  • Some "big" news tomorrow. Not sure if it's the release. I'm under strict orders to buy "some" on company account. No specification as to how many "some" is. :oD Ooops.

They are limited to one per customer aren't they, at least on the first run until they can scale up or something. Demand is going to be insane I think just because of the price, not because people actually have a use for them. :)

It's a very interesting piece of kit and I wouldn't mind one myself - I have no idea why though. :)

• I'm not sure why I want one either, but I'm sure I'd find a use for it (then again it'll probably end up in a box in a dark corner next to my FPGA board)
    I've already got a small cheap low-power Linux server in the form of a Plugbox, though that doesn't have any display out.
  • I want to turn one into a media server. I want to turn another into a mini-MAME cabinet.
    Beyond that, I dunno.
  • I think a lot of people will buy one on principle of price, but most will gather dust after initial test
  • I admit, it intrigues me (especially given the low price point and my lifelong interest in interesting electronics) but beyond tinkering with it, emulation, and perhaps donating a few to my old high school, off the top of my head I don't know what I'd do with one... take over the world, perhaps?

NP
  • Is it just me, or does the Raspberry (the logo thing) remind anyone else of a Thargon ? I also can see an upside down Acorn in there (but thats just too obvious)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion